Grant Goodyear posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
excerpted below,  on Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:09:58 -0600:

> I was going to say that the only way new news items could appear is
> during an emerge --sync, but of course that's not true for people who
> either add an overlay or use CVS.  I'd be comfortable with making it run
> only at --sync time, or if it were triggered explicitly (--check-news,
> or some such).

I don't believe that meets the emerging <g> consensus on the requirements:
get news to as many as possible that don't get it now, and that won't go
out and look for it.  Others have pointed out that emerge sync is often
unattended, as a cron job, so that won't get it in front of the 100% we're
looking for.  An explicit --check-news, while it might be nice, doesn't
accomplish the task either, because that requires people to do something
explicit to get it.

Rather, Ciaran's take, from a post to a different subthread:

> I'd say after emerge --sync, plus after an emerge --pretend and before
> an emerge blah. Will there be hooks for these?

We might put some sort of enews command in a new version of gentools
covering current portage, before a new portage version with all the
plumbing for news notifications at the times above built-in is released,
but it should only be a stopgap measure.

IMO it would also be wise to make the functionality feature controlled.
Make a FEATURES=news, then turn it on by default, or go the negative route
that is so distasteful to some on USE flags, and make it a
FEATURES=nonews, emphasizing that "Gentoo" thinks it should /really/ be on
by default.  OTOH, the same thing could be accomplished by not making it a
direct choice but simply allowing the existing rsync-exclude mechanism to
do its thing, if folks set it to exclude the news subtree.