Grobian posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,  on Sat, 12
Nov 2005 09:49:11 +0100:

> Stuart Herbert wrote:
>> I thought I'd been very clear in the email that you've replied to that I
>> support making the news available via other ways.  It's the timing that
>> I'm a bit worried about.
>
> And that worries me.  Because you more or less suggest to postpone
> implementing (just activating) traditional solutions, being used by many
> equivalent others in our field (works for them, more or less) in favour of
> an experimental new thing.

I agree to some extent with both viewpoints, here.  I think the viewpoint
of the "portage first" side is that we already have the "traditional"
stuff, the announce and dev list, the GWN, the forums, and "system
changing" announcements generally make it to most if not all those
already, but it's not working for some folks, and we want to see if
there's anything more that can be done, thus, the news-thru-portage
proposal.  This viewpoint holds that since the portage angle is going to
form the core of things, since that's the main /new/ feature, implementing
it should be first, with the system designed around that, /then/ the
additional automated notifiers can be put into effect after the main
infrastructure is complete.

Valid viewpoint with some strong points supporting it.

The traditional side first viewpoint recognizes that getting portage set
up and a new version rolled out to stable, after the usual level of
testing, with all these new features, is going to take awhile.  This
viewpoint says nail down the reference format, create the dir in the
portage tree, set up the vetting process, and get started putting the
notices in the tree ASAP.  This won't require rolling out a new version of
portage, since current portage will just sync the new dir, and ignore it.
At this point, we won't even have local portage doing the filtering, the
stuff will just be delivered in the portage tree sync and stay there, but
that's fine.

Once the "supply side" of the infrastructure is set up, that will allow
user submitted tools, outside of portage, a chance to go to it.  Since
these separate tools don't have the Gentoo-vital duties that
emerge/portage does, these tools could be deployed relatively quickly,
with rather less testing.  Likely, there'd fairly quickly be a couple of
unofficial ebuilds available on the user list and forums, much like the
several implementations of eclean, the one of which has now been chosen to
put into portage and is now in ~arch.

At the same time and also rather more rapidly than portage could evolve
and be tested, various devs could be working on the automated scripts that
would post the notices to the forums, announce and probably user lists,
and a web page, perhaps hanging off of packages.gentoo.org.  Portage's
functionality, meanwhile, would come along in due time, likely rather
after several other delivery implementations are active, because of the
time required to implement it in an already functional and vital program,
without breaking anything, AND to properly test to be SURE nothing broke.

This too is a valid viewpoint, with its strong points, the biggest weak
point being that because other delivery implementations will be using the
standard before portage gets nicely tested with it, it's possible
something unforeseen will come up with the reference format that makes it
more difficult to implement in what was after all the whole reason it was
put together in the first place -- portage.  With other stuff already
using the format, it'd be far more difficult to tweak it if needed by the
portage implementation, without breaking the other stuff.

Noting of course that I'm here, and I'm reading announce, and GWN,
therefore the proposal, while useful for me, isn't directly targeted at
me, and further noting that I'm not the one that's gotta do the
implementation, I can never-the-less post my "druthers" on the subject.
If I were implementing it, I'd probably go this second way.  It'll get
stuff out there and working faster than the first way, and provided
appropriate care is taken in drafting the reference format and
implementing the initial delivery into the tree infrastructure, the risk
of disturbing portage's development in the area is relatively low.  We get
the release early, release often going right away, and the other stuff
will naturally follow.

> Another good reason to start with the 'common' things.  The traditional
> ways some of your 100% of our users will be common with.  Nothing new
> there for them.  The portage way *is* new, and has never been done, hence
> they might have difficulties to "get it".

I don't see that happening.  Folks using Gentoo are already programmed to
use emerge for all their updates and to get new packages.  There's little
else to "get".

> Please remember that many of your 100% of our users hates software that
> doesn't work.  It wouldn't be the first time a user decides never to use a
> piece of software again, because his/her first experience with it was very
> bad.

Well, as it's shaping up, user's won't have a lot of choice -- the notice
of unread news will be output by portage any time they do much of anything
with it.  Sure, they can set rsync-exclude on the news dir, but those that
are likely to know how to do that aren't normally going to be the ones the
proposal is targeting anyway.  If they know how to do that, it's pretty
much a given that they know enough to sysadmin their own system, including
how to check for potential breaking updates, as things are.

Of course, they could ignore the news alerts, but they'll be right in
their face, so they'll have to actively work at it to do so.

That leaves rejecting emerge entirely, which pretty much means dumping
Gentoo.  While I'm sure we all hate to see such a thing happen, the
reality is it's going to happen, with some, and there's not a lot we can
do about it.  Meanwhile, we will have done what we could.

All that said, I more or less agree with where you end up, that is, that
we (Gentoo) should get the approval infrastructure and delivery into the
tree set up as soon as possible, so that folks can begin implementing
other user-view delivery methods relatively quickly.  Should that be done,
portage will probably end up being last to implement it's part, but by the
time it does, the other outlet methods will likely be decently on the way,
and chances are, the regulars in the forums and on the user list will have
already taken and run with the idea, so a not insignificant portion of the
userbase will already be familiar with the idea of news, before portage
ever delivers it.  As they say in the performance arts, there's nothing
like playing to a warm house!