On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 09:16:06AM -0700, Lares Moreau wrote:
> Is there a possibility to have each 'type' of staff have there own
> subdomain. ie.  @testers.g.o for at/ht
>               @docs.g.o for document persons
>               @infra.g.o for infrastucture
>               etc...
>               @staff.g.o for non-specific staff
>               @g.o for devs
No (and hopefully this email finally kills this line of thought off :)

fex, for me
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (portage infra crap plus distfiles)
ferringb@(recruiters|devrel).g.o (recruiters)

for solar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Etc.  I'm naming subdomains off the top of my head to match
high level grouping, but it should be clear this isn't a tenuable
path to take both for devs, and for harassing infra with alias requests.

> Further, have an alias from @g.o to @<subdomain>.g.o, with an email
> returned to the sender if the subdomain is incorrect.

Aliasing sucks due to the need to remove the alias after a role
changes- if I stop doing recruiting, that alias now needs to be
disabled.  Either you bounce the email, or you leave the alias in
place- either solution sucks if you're trying to do subdomains and
have them actually mean something.

This also is not even remotely getting into the question of
segregating gentoo peeps, something I dislike.

It's just not a good way to manage things with people changing roles,
nor does the subdomain addition really mean anything imo- if I had all
of those aliases, I'd still send from [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Can't tell what
the hell I do based upon the from, still would have to resort to doing
some digging...

~harring