Mint Shows wrote:

    This feature should only be used for things that are directly related
    to the tree, and will cause mass breakage if ignored.

I fully agree with this statement. I am behind the adoption of the GLEP only if it does what (I originally believed) was its purpose...to get CRITICAL news regarding package upgrades..etc. If a user wants to know what's going on with the developers..they can subscribe to this -dev list. If a user wants to know how to NOT break his system by performing an 'emerge -u world' portage should tell them.

--
Mint Shows

I fully agree here, or in the case of Apache, which my its self is not a critical system component, but its is a very important part of many user's systems, that is also worthy of a NEWS Item.

On another note, i'm not exactly sure how this would be implemented, but perferably wouldn't the new NEWS Items be best if provided before a package upgrade?
for example
emerge -avu apache

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild U ] net-www/apache-2.0.54-r31 *(1 News Item) [2.0.54-r30] +apache2 -debug -doc -ldap -mpm-leader -mpm-peruser -mpm-prefork -mpm-threadpool -mpm-worker -no-suexec (-selinux) +ssl -static-modules -threads 5,488 kB

Total size of downloads: 5,488 kB

Would you like to read the unread News Item? [Yes/No]

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
Of course, running emerge -vu apache shouldn't be stopped, it should continue with its own risk.

Thats just one thing i would like to see.

Tux