On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 17:15 +0100, Wernfried Haas wrote:

> > > Answer: Download it in less than 10 minutes.
>
> > I'd love to see you do the same with a stage1 tarball + all the
> > distfiles you'll need to go from stage1 to stage3.
>
> Assuming you keep all distfiles you already downloaded (which some
> people do, like me). So you'd just need stage 1, nothing else.
> Maybe that does not justify keeping stage1 (imho not even though
> it's useful for me), but it _is_ answering your intial question. ;-)

Just because you downloaded them previously does not mean you didn't
download them.

> Btw, if i use stage 3 and then emerge -e world to recompile my whole
> system with -omg-optimized i assume stage 3 may lose against stage 1
> and compiling -omg-optimized from the beginning. Not that it makes
> much sense to do that though.

*sigh*

You have proven my point.  Thank you.  If you compile the same sources
with the same settings, you get the same output.  It doesn't matter if
you started from a stage1, stage2, stage3, or stage4 tarball.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead