And again, we have the same situation that lead to my resignation:
People who have absolutely no clue of how releng works scream. Not about
"BAD QA!!!11" this time, but about a decision that was made to make work
easier.

What is wrong with you, guys? You all have so good and enlightening
ideas! Why does nobody want to be my successor? Come on - my footprints
aren't that big!

Seriously, the reaction of some developers and users smells a bit like
Slashdot to me: "OMG! They are removing the 133735t part of gent00!!!".
Sounds silly, right? Those people that read the install-docs *carefully*
are the only ones being  r e a d y  to do a stage1-install. If they read
carefully they will see the link "Hey, you can still do stage1 - if you
want to then read-on over here".

With some exceptions, most of the people replying to this thread
obviously have no clue what tracking down a bug in a stage1 installation
means: It's a lottery - especially if the user has nearly no knowledge
of the backgrounds and can only tell you: "!!! ERROR in foo/bar-0.8.15".

I'd like all of you to keep this in mind. Gentoo isn't a
garage-distribution anymore and I tend to say (though I don't know the
exact number of received mails) that those who complained at www@ didn't
read the whole story about the "removal" and are really a minority.

Also, why a GLEP for that? A GLEP for removing something from the
handbook? Wow! Bureaucracy-wise Gentoo seems to get more and more
european.

Regards

Benjamin "beejay, the former x86-monkey" Judas