R Hill wrote:

>I think that a lot of people use stage 1 because they're under the impression
>that they have to in order to change their CHOST on default-linux from
>i386-pc-linux-gnu to i686-pc-linux-gnu.  And unless something has changed
>recently, to get an NPTL glibc they _do_ have to make that change [1].  If it's
>made clear that there is absolutely no difference in the end btwn stage3 +
>emerge -e world and stage1, maybe people would be less enthusiastic about
>using it.
>

>--de.

Well, I'm not expert for sure, quite a noobie really, but I did my
install about 2 years ago.  I did a stage 3 install and then did a
emerge -ev world.  I must admit though, I did actually read the manual
several times before I started my install.  I usually don't read the
directions but hey, I didn't know crap about Gentoo, don't know much
crap now either.  :/

Some may need the option for a stage 1 but unless you are on one slow
rig, emerge -ev world shortly after booting your new stable kernel
shouldn't take to long then install everything else.  Wouldn't that make
everyone happy?  Shouldn't that also give some devs some time to work on
others things as well?  Getting a sync past 50% with slowing to a crawl
would be nice.  Plenty of people complaining about that.

Don't beat me to much OK.  Be gentle.

Dale
:-)

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.