For those who aren't devs; epkgmove is a tool to move and rename packages around in CVS. It lives here: [1]

As it stands currently, epkgmove is likely to mess up the tree for anything but simple package moves/renames with only a couple of minor deps. The code is hideous, and needs a rewrite.

However, I don't think we should even be using such a tool. Package moves are best done on the server where it can keep track of all dependency and package references as they're committed. For epkgmove to perform 100% accurate moves, it needs to do a full tree scan plus reverse dep checking, which would make it too slow to be useful.
There are a handful of other non-trivial checks it has too perform.

SVN in combination with the mentioned server side caching would probably be the best solution, though obviously CVS -> SVN transition for gentoo-x86 is no minor task.

For the time being and near future, I think moves should be done by hand.

What are your thoughts on this, infra?

1: http://dev.gentoo.org/~port001/DevTools/epkgmove/

Regards,
Ian Leitch