On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:49:31 +0900 Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| No need for a glep as far as portage support goes anymore than Ciaran
| needs a glep to change or add syntax highlighting in vim.

The difference is, Vim syntax scripts are well established, and there
aren't any design issues to solve. Multiple repository support clearly
*isn't* obvious, because the solution you've described is the wrong one.

| There doesn't need to be a debate. This whole proposal doesn't care
| about portage compatibility whatsoever and it's exactly this style of
| thinking that slows down portage development (which everybody loves
| to complain about so much).

Sure it does. It cares about the way Portage is currently, and it cares
about any reasonable future Portage changes.

| As I said already, there will immediately be a bug asking for overlay
| support. Portage already supports multiple in a form whether anybody
| likes it or not. How they are supported and how they will change
| should be of no concern to the glep. What should be of concern is
| establishing a robust API between the readers and portage such that
| future changes won't cause breakage.

Ok, give me a list of every single future enhancement to Portage and
I'll make sure the GLEP will be compatible with them.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm