Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:17:56 +0900 Kalin KOZHUHAROV
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | As far as speed is concerned, it is comparable with CVS.
>
>Be more specific please. We're looking for benchmarks showing how well
>it performs in terms of speed, bandwidth and memory usage for actions
>such as commit and update on a repository with 100k+ small files.

I have hardware on which I would be more than willing to perform this
type of benchmark. Can you provide/point to a repository of files to
benchmark, and a set of operations to perform? The obvious being the
portage tree itself, with some/all of its history (however much is
necessary for the benchmarks to be meaningful), but would require a set
of activities to generate a relevant benchmark.

For reference, I have a server that is not yet in production, but
readying for production in the next few months, running Gentoo, on a
raid-5 array of SCSI harddrives. I don't remember the precise
specifications off hand, but I could provide them along with the results.

Would this be useful? Would more/other hardware be necessary useful? (I
have access to multiple workstations on which I could run simultaneous
tests, causing transactions to become relevant and important, etc etc,
and further hardware might be available here.) Hope this can be of some
use to you in trying to make this evaluation.

-Chandler Carruth