On Saturday 24 December 2005 03:43, Duncan wrote:
> Jason Stubbs posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted
>
> below,  on Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:22:06 +0900:
> > A quick patch makes symlinks handled similarly to regular files and
> > solves the issue. I'll put it into testing unless anybody can come up
> > with a reason not to. The case that will be broken by the patch is when
> > two different packages install the same symlink. PackageA is
> > installed, PackageB is installed, PackageB is uninstalled -> PackageA is
> > broken. Does this case exist?
>
> Yikes!  That's not going to remove /lib or /usr/lib or the like, for us on
> amd64, where that's a symlink to lib64, will it?
>
> equery b /lib
> [ Searching for file(s) /lib in *... ]
> net-analyzer/macchanger-1.5.0-r1 (/lib)
> sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.0_pre12 (/lib)
> sys-boot/grub-0.97 (/lib)
> sys-devel/gcc-4.0.2-r1 (/lib)
> sys-devel/gcc-3.4.4-r1 (/lib)
> sys-fs/device-mapper-1.01.05 (/lib)
> sys-fs/lvm2-2.01.14 (/lib)
> sys-fs/udev-078 (/lib)
> sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6 (/lib)
>
> There's a similar, longer list, for  /usr/lib.  Obviously, not all of
> those will own it as a symlink, but it is one, and if removing one happens
> to remove the symlink...

I'm not familiar with equery so I don't know what this output means. By the
look of it, it is only a list of packages that own stuff in that directory.

> Also consider the effect where a former dir is now a symlink or a former
> symlink is now a dir.  The recent xorg directory moves come to mind.

With the patch I've done, recorded symlinks will continue to be ignored if the
target is not a symlink.

> You are /sure/ the new code won't screw anything of that sort up, right?
> Maybe that's the reason nobody seems to have been around to know about.
> It just sounds like it /could/ be dangerous to me.  For some reason, I
> don't like the idea of something that could hose a system that badly!  =8^\

*Please* don't tell me you run ~arch.

--
Jason Stubbs