On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:43:59 -0500, Stephen P. Becker wrote:

> Since nobody else has asked, I will.  What is the point?  What problem
> are you trying to solve with this ebuild?  As far as I can tell, there
> is no point, other than trying to sound like you are doing something
> important.

Sigh...The point was to take 3, potentially 4, ebuilds and make 1. As for
trying to sound anything, that is not true. Why not bring that up with
Kris who has taken up this project.

> I can tell you that I would be disappointed if this replaces the current
> ebuilds, because I really don't need to reinstall nvidia-settings and
> nvidia-glx every time I build a new kernel.

That's why we are having this dialog. When I proposed doing a unified
ebuild, the objective always was to get and encourage feedback. If you are
happy keeping up with three ebuilds, then that is feedback we need to
have. BTW, please post these comments to the bug report.

>> We hope you will find this approach a more streamlined and easy
>> implementation for nVidia.
>
> I don't particularly see how it is easier.

But many do. This mirrors the approach nvidia takes.

>> Thanks for your participation and feedback.
>>
>> Peter Hyman on behalf of the nVidia devs.
>
> The nVidia devs?  Is upstream pushing this?  Why?  What is the point?

No, nVidia devs are Kris and the x11-driver group.

> -Steve

BTW, I don't want to get into a multi-threaded debate about the
merits or drawbacks to this in this forum. Bug reports or comments are
encouraged since that way everyone involved will see it. I was just asked
to post the invite.