On Friday 30 December 2005 22:13, Spider (DmD Lj) wrote:
> it would block against "requirement of same package with different SLOT.
>
> However, since the ~ atoms are explicit and separate ( this depend tree
> could as well be called :
> app-text/docbook-sgml-dtd:3.0
> app-text/docbook-sgml-dtd:3.1
> app-text/docbook-sgml-dtd:4.0
> app-text/docbook-sgml-dtd:4.1
>
> Which, for some reason, should be supported : )
>
> Either by casing out appearances where multiple SLOTs are depended on by
> -one- package, or by saying that ~ is special-cased due to its stricter
> limitations, which would make it pass by the SLOT check.
>
> ( no, its not an elegant solution, but it might work ;)

Inelegant solutions gets us no further than where we are now. ;)

A still inelegant solution, but one that I could live with, is to leave SLOT
handling as it is now and to take Brian's syntax of key:slot,slot using it
specifically for the case where a set of ebuilds must all use the same slot.

Hence, rather than digikam and friends having "|| ( kdelibs:3.4 kdelibs:3.5 )"
each would have just "kdelibs:3.4,3.5". It still sounds messy given the
current redesign of atom handling, but it would seem to offer a better chance
of not being bug-ridden...

--
Jason Stubbs