On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 11:05 -0500, Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
>
> > So what about the first problem? Working, real configs for gentoo releases?
> > I am thinking something of the kind, will it be possible/good/easy to start
> > preparing a few configs
> > for the next release (2006.0 right?), complete configs starting from say
> > stage1-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2 (as usually x86 is getting the most beating).
>
> emerge -av livecd-specs livecd-kconfigs
> is a good starting point.

While these are for the 2005.1 release, they are still perfectly valid
for use in catalyst 2.0.

> > And as a good practice, leave all configs (for some time) in the source of
> > catalyst sot that anybody
> > , more in practice than in theory, can produce an install CD.
>
> catalyst 2.0_rc12 at least installs lots of examples in
> /usr/share/doc/catalyst-*/examples

Correct.  The examples are probably the best documentation out there.

The simple truth is that we have been making so many changes to the code
over the last year or so that it has been impossible to keep up with the
web-based documentation.  We'd rather have working code than pretty
documents.  Sorry guys.

> > Customized bootable CD can be used NOT only for:
> >  Installing on "strange" hardware
>
> i'm using catalyst to generate install cds for a custom medical device.
>
> hang out in #gentoo-releng ... thats where i learned all about catalyst.

Please, please, please... do *not* join #gentoo-releng unless you want
to watch us talk.  We are nearing release times which means that
*nobody* that is not working on an official Gentoo release will have
voice in that channel.  The channel is *not* a catalyst support channel.
There is a mailing list for that express purpose.  We don't need a flood
of people coming in asking how to use the application while we're busy
trying to get a release out the door.  If you want catalyst help or just
to discuss catalyst, please join the gentoo-catalyst mailing list.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead