On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 17:32 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
> <snip a bunch about binpkg>
>
> I think a key thing that is missing is build info that is only kept on
> the installed system. If we were to ever create a build server setup, we
> need to be able to have multiple binpkg's of the same version depending
> on differences between sub-arch, use flags, cflag differences, gcc
> version differences, etc. The key one i'm after is use flags. I'm not
> sure of the technical details behind it, but we need something to make
> the binpkgs more useful outside of the local system. Having the ebuild
> packed at the end is a great idea! I think its just time to extend the
> format to include more and possibly add things for build servers.

USE flags are stored in the package.  The main thing is that portage
doesn't consider them, at all, unless you use --newuse, in which case if
the USE flags do not match, it will not use the package and will compile
from source.  We use this every day in Release Engineering with
catalyst.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead