On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 06:57:24AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> as one of the new sane features of the next portage-2.1_pre release, we're
> looking to cut out use.defaults support
>
> existing stable users wont be affected as the 2.0.x versions will continue to
> carry support for this, but some of you stable users may notice some USE
                                          ^^^^^^
> flags suddenly "disappearing"

I'm a bit confused, existing stable users won't be affected, but they
will notice use flags "disappearing"? Wouldn't that mean they are
affected or did you simply mistype and mean unstable?

> to recap, use.defaults inserts USE flags for you based upon what packages you
> have installed when you havent declared a preference.  for example, if you
> have neither '-cups' or 'cups' in your USE (either in your make.conf,
> profile, env, whatever), but you do have the net-print/cups package
> installed, portage will add 'cups' to your USE

That's the current behaviour in stable 2.0.x and will be gone with
2.1, right?

I'm a little confused now, could you clarify this?

cheers,
        Wernfried

--
Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org