Paul de Vrieze wrote:

> Using this flags on a freshly compiled stage3 (from a stage1, just running
> emerge system without setting useflags) I get no blockers at all, when
> setting the useflags at the point that system has been recompiled.

Are you suggesting that on fresh installs, after editing your use flags, you
should _NOT_ recompile, taking into account the new use flags?

That is not what the documentation tells you what to do:

"A full description on USE can be found in the second part of the Gentoo
Handbook, USE flags. A full description on the available USE flags can be
found on your system in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc"

Click on that link to the USE flag section in the handbook:

"If you have altered your USE flags and you wish to update your entire
system to use the new USE flags, use emerge's --newuse option:

emerge --update --deep --newuse world"

> I'm sorry, but I can't replicate the problem with regard to merging php
> for these useflags on a fresh stage3.

Follow the instructions in the official handbook to replicate the problem,
what any new user to gentoo would need to go through.