Stephen P. Becker posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,
on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:18:31 -0500:

> The point is, you need to stop polluting this list with completely
> off-topic sub-rants which have nothing to do with gentoo development.
> You do a very good job at killing useful threads with your essays on
> world peace.

It's not entirely off topic, as it pertains to dev/user relations.  Note
that I didn't go into detail originally, until asked to clarify, which I
did.  That's not off topic, that's supplying logical support for an
on-topic answer to an on-topic, even "useful", question.  You don't have
to agree with my particular viewpoint on "world peace", to see how my
answer related to the topic at hand.

In any case, it's certainly more on topic than references to goats and the
like.  Yes, I understand the joking and etc in the context of welcoming a
new dev and yes, I consider it reasonably appropriate, precisely on topic
or not. That's not the point. It can't however be reasonably argued that
such comments are any closer to on topic than mine are, yet the same folks
that complain about my comments don't emit a peep when these farther from
topic comments come up.  Where's the consistency?

Having no rule that can be applied to all cases with consistent results,
how am I to know when I'm breaking the rule?  I can't.  It's therefore
impossible to comply, because the rule appears to be arbitrary, with no
consistent application possible.  If a consistent rule exists, make it
known, and perhaps the results will be more agreeable.

Also... how can I kill a useful thread of tens or hundreds of posts from
multiple posters, with a single "essay on world peace"?  Am I making the
posting choices for the other participants?  Hardly.  How then can it be
possible for me to kill the thread, when it's always possible to ignore my
"essay" and the resulting subthread, if desired, and continue posting away
on the more "useful" subthreads, as if I'd never posted in the first
place.