On 2/21/06, Christian Bricart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> So I have /dev/hda through /dev/hdl which are ok. But the mappings to
> /dev/discs/discX with X > 7 are missing.

<snip>

> I wanted to file a bug report, but I'm not certain if it's actually
> udev's fault.

Yes, it is udev's fault, but it is not a bug.  The /dev/discs nodes
were a convention of devfs, and _never_ standard.

>From the ChangeLog (there are many other entries BTW):

*udev-064-r1 (31 Jul 2005)

  31 Jul 2005; Greg Kroah-Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  +files/udev.rules-064-r1, +udev-064-r1.ebuild:
  Start moving to a sane /dev naming scheme.
  This release removes the devfs names for the tty and consolde devices, and the
  symlinks that were implementing the LSB standard names.  We only implement the
  LSB names now, which saves over 3Mb of RAM on /dev.

-Richard