Mark Loeser wrote:
> Well, instead of putting the debate into an even larger crowd, this
> enables the QA team to act in the way it sees best first.  If people
> believe we were wrong, then we give them the option to talk to the
> council about one of our changes.  Also, we aren't unwilling to hear
> alternatives and we hope to work with the maintainer on these problems.

As Stuart mentioned, this is not a good idea. If the maintainer
disagrees with QA-made changes, the changes should be reverted until a
higher-level decision is made. This mirrors FreeBSD policy [1], which
seems to be working quite well for them. A particularly relevant part is
this:

"Any disputed change must be backed out pending resolution of the
dispute if requested by a maintainer. Security related changes may
override a maintainer's wishes at the Security Officer's discretion."

Thanks,
Donnie

1.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/rules.html