Hi all,

I'm currently heavily involved with jabber-related packages. As a result
I have to struggle with the really seldomn maintained packages in
Gentoo. As an example: ejabberd 1.0 is not in portage until now, it was
released in early december last year. There is not really a reason for
this, because it runs (with a few modifications) stable and could be
used in production.
Another issue are transports. As you know there are only two flavours of
Jabber-transports: rotten or broken. But as a result of introducing the
py*-t-transports things become better, but: Gentoo did not have them.
There is an really outdated version of pymsn around there (as a
low-quality ebuild, btw.) and some ebuilds in the wild[1], but they are
still lower quality (installing dot-svn-files, complete strange
installation target and so on).

To come to an end: jabber is not really the most unimportant thing, so
things should go better. I want to provide my ebuilds[2] for Gentoo's
main tree and I would also offer my help on jabber-stuff (if it's need
and it's not just a matter of motivation or so). Anyway, it must become
better.

[1]http://gentoo.zugaina.org/net-im.html.en
[2]http://svn.breakmygentoo.net/bmg-main/net-im/ejabberd/ejabberd-1.0.0-r1.ebuild
http://svn.breakmygentoo.net/bmg-main/net-im/pymsn-t/pymsn-t-0.11a.ebuild
http://svn.breakmygentoo.net/bmg-main/net-im/pyicq-t/pyicq-t-0.7.ebuild

Sincerley,
  Lars Strojny
--
      "Kriterium des Wahren ist nicht seine unmittelbare
          Kommunizierbarkeit an jedermann"

name: Lars H. Strojny      web: http://strojny.net
street: Engelsstraße 23    blog: http://usrportage.de
city: D-51103 Köln         mail/jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
f-print: 1FD5 D8EE D996 8E3E 1417  328A 240F 17EB 0263 AC07