Jan Kundrát wrote:

>Alin Nastac wrote:
>

>>this has been discussed before.
>>summary: tarballs could be used by more than one package. this way
>>you'll manage to increase the disk space demands for our mirrors.
>>

>This one is about sorting by first letter of filename. It won't solve
>multiple different files with same filename, though.

I know what is this about, but Stuart was trying to reopen that old thread.

You can't solve the name conflict in a generic fashion without
increasing required resorces from our mirrors (either disk space or CPU
+ RAM).
Since probability of such conflict is very low, I say better solve one
conflict at a time, by hosting a renamed version of those files on
mirror://gentoo.