On Saturday 11 March 2006 14:19, Alec Warner wrote:
> Either USE_EXPAND always goes in IUSE, or USE_EXPAND never goes in IUSE.

Regardless of what is displayed, portage will eventually need to know what
USE_EXPAND env vars are modifying the behaviour of an ebuild. Consider
extending --newuse to support USE_EXPAND as well. Simply knowing the var
itself isn't quite enough. Could you imagine if every single package that
is modified by USE were recompiled when irrelevant parts of USE is changed?

> If you want USE_EXPAND that sometimes goes in IUSE and sometimes doesn't
> you better have a good plan for keeping those lists of proper USE_EXPAND
> flags and improper flags in sync.  I mean I'd love to do it that way,
> but I'll bet those lists get old and nasty and we will have people
> complaining about QA warnings that they thought were fixed or that there
> were no QA warnings when there should have been...etc..

I also committed support for a USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN. Individual flags don't
need to be added to it. USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN="USERLAND ARCH ..." is enough.

--
Jason Stubbs