Asking developers to "proxy" takes almost as much time as it does to
ask them to maintain a package by themselves.  The developer is
directly responsible for anything he commits, so he will have to still
test the ebuild, still test any revisions, and still follow the
package to make sure there are no problems.  The writing the ebuild
part of the process is not that much of the commitment, I don't see
the point.