> But it seems rather artificial to me, and I suspect some devs might
> enjoy contributions to their non-topical overlays.

It *is* artificial; that's fair critisism.  I have a personal bias
towards projects.  I'll withdraw the distinction.

So, to be clear: the owners of an overlay (the leads for a project,
the developer for a developer overlay) can request that a non-dev be
given commit rights to the overlay's VCS and / or wiki.  The owners of
an overlay are responsible for everything that happens to an overlay -
including the contributions of non-developers.

Best regards,
Stu