On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 18:34 -0500, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> On 3/23/06, Daniel Goller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 09:15 -0500, Dan Meltzer wrote:
> > > Asking developers to "proxy" takes almost as much time as it does to
> > > ask them to maintain a package by themselves.
> >
> > wrong
> >
> > >  The developer is
> > > directly responsible for anything he commits, so he will have to still
> > > test the ebuild, still test any revisions, and still follow the
> > > package to make sure there are no problems.  The writing the ebuild
> > > part of the process is not that much of the commitment, I don't see
> > > the point.
> > >

> > we are not just talking about new ebuilds/bumps
> > having someone do all the work and having to only verify the end results
> > of the users work is a big help, instead of having to look into the
> > problem, checking if a fix exists elsewhere, or digging through the
> > source yourself, you verify the fix solves the problem and does only
> > that.
> >
> > and everyone wins
>
> So it sounds like you are asking them to do everything developers do,
>
> why not just make them be developers?

because they do not want more than take care of their one package and do
not want more than someone taking care of their work, maybe?
or maybe because they don't like a lot of devs due to bad experiences,
and would not want to be any part of the group, but still enjoy working
on packages

there are people who i would love to see as devs, but are not
particularly interested on having to deal with some of the devs, having
a proxy allows them to help gentoo w/o being exposed to the people they
otherwise would have to deal with