On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 07:57:43PM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
> Fernando J. Pereda wrote:  [Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:18:52PM EST]
> > Well, I find it easier to understand than many other DVCSs out there...
> > In fact I don't think it is difficult to use in any way. Maybe pre-1.1
> > versions had some syntax weirdnesses, but the 1.2 series are really easy
> > to use and understand...
>
> That is good to hear.  It's possible that my comments were misplaced,
> and it would be worth my while to reinvestigate git.  Personally I use
> mercurial daily (xen) and I've been very happy with it.
>
> I'm under the impression that mercurial is easier to use than git,
> mostly because of git's philosophy of providing the low-level
> infrastructure and expecting other projects to build user-friendly
> interfaces.  While that split sounds good in theory, it seems to
> result in one interface that's powerful+complex, and other interfaces
> that are weak+easy.  Again, that's an impression, not recent personal
> experience.

Definately that was the case some months ago. Now Git provides a
'porcelain' (user oriented) interface, and using the 'plumbing' (core)
tools directly is highly discouraged.

Also Cogito has improved a lot since then.

> > > *shrug*  All possible with the other DVCSs, generally easier to
> > > use, and harder to screw up your repo.
> >
> > How would you screw your repo using normal Git commands ?
>
> I shouldn't have made that statement since I haven't done it
> personally, only heard of it happening to other people, and not
> recently.

Again, might be the case with ancient versions, I screwed some of my
repos :) But definately not with post-1.0 versions.

Basically, I think you tried/heard about, ancient versions of Git and
Cogito, and yeah... the very first versions were a PITA sometimes.

Cheers,
Ferdy

--
Fernando J. Pereda Garcimartín
Gentoo Developer (Alpha,net-mail,mutt,git)