Carsten Lohrke wrote:
Who said a package gets masked before it gets removed? There is no such requirement in the ebuild policy.

Come on. Is this a 'policy doesn't say I have to be sane' war? It's absolutely reasonable to p.mask a package that is pending for removal. That way you give the users a timeframe which they can search for alternative tools in. I don't know whether policy does state this or not, I don't care. It's not like you would get any bugs for a masked package. It's not like you would gain a lot of space because you freed up 3 ebuilds and a few digests. It's not like you would gain anything from removing it immediately. But those who use the package do gain a lot from you giving them a hint to search for alternatives.

--
Kind Regards,

Simon Stelling
Gentoo/AMD64 Developer