On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:33:12 +0200 Grobian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On 07-04-2006 11:07:28 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| > I mean, as a purely hypothetical example... Could you imagine just
| > how many dumb feature requests, questions and requests for code
| > from the unwashed masses someone would get if they admitted to
| > having an early alpha of an alternative to Portage that didn't
| > require Python? Having to deal with the noise would be more than
| > enough to ensure that no more development would ever get done...
|
| This is ofcourse a purely hypothetical prediction for a hypothetical
| example.  Another hypothesis might be that noone would care about the
| hypothetical alternative to Portage, hence no developer obstruction
| would take place at all.

That hypothesis looks unlikely, given all the discussions that took
place around portage-ng and the like, all the feature requests for
Portage on bugzilla and the countless zillions of "Portage should do
$x" threads on the forums. From a non-hypothetical perspective, I can
tell you that I received a significant number of really really stupid
suggestions when various developers found out about what's now called
eselect -- and that was with extremely limited internal publicity on a
far lower profile category of project than the one we're
hypothetically discussing.

| Yet another hypothesis might be that there
| would actually exist a few smart users that give some smart comments
| on the, in this case hypothetical, product.

This hypothesis probably holds. However, it ignores two other points:
Firstly, that the hypothetical noise would more than offset any
hypothetical advantage (little point in being given a diamond if it
comes in the middle of ten tonnes of horse manure and you only have
one shovel), and secondly that the hypothetical smart users could be
brought in on the hypothetical project anyway.

| Maybe user-rel should, together with GWN bridge this problem by
| keeping the source of news anonymous?  Just to use it as teasers of
| what kind of things are being done in Gentoo's kitchen?
| Of course this only holds for new projects like in your hypothetical
| example.

Yikes, that's even worse than sticking them out with a name on it.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm