I apologize if this is a resend, but it seemed to me like the 1st attempt
didn't get through (can't imagine why it would take longer than a couple
of days to get to a gentoo-hosted mailing list from a gentoo-hosted mail
account...)

------------------

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Christopher O'Neill wrote:

> As a Gentoo user, one thing that I'd very much like to see is improved
> communication between the dev teams and the users.  At the moment it
> feels pretty much like I am in the dark as regarding to how we are
> progressing on certain things.  Let me pick some examples:

I wonder if we could get an AT or dev to join userrel team as a liason for
the express purpose of keeping users updated on progress

* user has a question regarding current status in project XYZ
* user sees a link regarding 'learn current status' on front page of
  gentoo.org
* user reads this status page to see if the question has already
  been answered
* user has a new question not addressed by existing info, and submits it via
  a form to the liason email account
* user gets an auto-generated response indicating the request has been
  received (i.e. made it past the spam filter) and asking them not to re-submit
  questions as it can take time to research answers

* status answer guy reads question and asks for clarification if needed
* status answer guy either:
  * already knows answer from mailing lists or irc
  * searches through relevent mailing lists
  * asks on relevent irc channel
  * asks on a relevent mailing list
  * asks a relevent dev via email
* status answer guy writes a brief update with relevent pointers and sends
  it to the relevent devs for approval (analagous to draft of GWN getting
  posted before published)
* status answer guy posts the update (with any corrections) to the status
  web page and sends an email telling user(s) who asked this question
  that the status page got updated

Suggested requirements for this position:
* diplomatic and patient with both users and devs
* not easily offended
* broad interest in many areas of gentoo
* already hangs out in irc and subscribes to many mailing lists (likely to
  know who to ask, or on what mailing list)
* doesn't mind doing a little writing and is decent at it