Curtis Napier posted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, excerpted below,  on
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:50:42 -0400:

> Jan Kundrát wrote:
>>
>> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: actually, it has been mentioned in the recent
>> thread on -dev ML that you own the copyright or something of the flying
>> saucer on w.g.o
>> [...]
>> 17:33 <@jkt|> drobbins: and there was a questino if you'd agree if we
>> continued to use it
>> [...]
>> 17:38 <@drobbins> jkt|, yeah, I don't care
>>

> Not promising a front and center place like he has now but I'll work him
> into it somehow or other.

When you place it, consider linking it to a history or some explanation or
something.  He's certainly cute and all that, but I've always wondered
just what he has to do with Gentoo, having the feeling that there's some
symbolism or something that I'm missing.

My opinion is that without some sort of explanatory link, all he does is
reinforce the already too prevalent idea that Gentoo is just for a bunch
of spaced out ricers and fringe users that don't have anything better to
do with their computers than compile and recompile all day. It's just
noise on the page that doesn't seem to apply to anything else on the page,
and therefore doesn't look professional.  Again, maybe I just missed the
symbolism somewhere, but that's my opinion.  Put a caption on him, make
him link to something, and it'll look better.

Maybe make him the documentation and help section icon?  Or the icon for
contact information (Gentoo developer listing, etc)?  Something.