Sven Köhler wrote:

>at the moment, /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/rp-pppoe.so is installed by
>net-dialup/ppp - nothing special - well, it's not a very recent version.
>In the syslog it says:
>
>RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2
>
>On the other hand, i've got net-dialup/rp-pppoe-3.8 installed and it
>installs a symlink:
>
>/etc/ppp/plugins/rp-pppoe.so -> /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/rp-pppoe.so
>
>Is this symlink needed? And why is it installed by rp-pppoe?
>(And is the /etc/ppp/plugins dir needed at all? What do plugins do in
>/etc/ppp/plugins? Don't they belong to /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.2/ ?)

That is the place where pppoe-server search for the plugin.
Btw, the PPPoE server is the only useful part of net-dialup/rp-pppoe
from Gentoo pov, the client part being surclassed by the generic pppd.sh
net module available in baselayout-1.12*.

>Well, yet another question:
>ppp-2.4.2 now includes the rp-pppoe.so plugins from rp-pppoe - do the
>ppp-people maintain that module by themselfs now? Or do they just
>download the plugin from the rp-pppoe-people and include it in their
>sources? I can imagine a ppp-ebuild that downloads a more recent version
>of rp-pppoe and builds the rp-pppoe.so-plugins directly from the
>rp-pppoe sources instead of using the ppp-sources.

rp-pppoe plugin had been within ppp tarball for quite some time (see for
how long from upstream cvsweb at
http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ppp/pppd/plugins/rp-pppoe/).
It has been contributed by RoaringPenguin but from that day on, it has
been maintained by Paul MacKerras (the ppp upstream).
Maybe is just me, but I consider ppp to be the upstream when it comes to
rp-pppoe pppd's plugin. I don't care that 3.3 < 3.8 since the actual
rp-pppoe plugin is a modified version of the one original.
Unless someone finds a bug or a new feature that needs to be implemented
in rp-pppoe plugin (which I very much doubt it), I will  change nothing
(and even then, I will prefer to patch the ppp sources).