Jan Kundrát wrote:
Ryan Phillips wrote:
Stable and unstable keywords are a hack on top of a version control
system.  We wouldn't have them if gentoo used an SCM that supports true
branches.  There would be no need.

Umm, I'm not an ebuild dev, but how would users mix stable and unstable
packages in such a case?

They would probably have to check out two trees. But the two trees combined would likely be the same size as the single tree now, since a lot of packages have at least two ebuilds available, one ~arch and one stable.

The real showstopper in my mind is that having a single ~arch and a single stable tree means you can't selectively stable things on different architectures at different times.

Thanks,
Donnie