On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 08:50 -0700, Ryan Phillips wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> did you benchmark CPU load?  Often bzip2 takes 3x as long to
> uncompress a package than bzip.  Often, the space savings doesn't
> justify the cost of how long it takes for the cpu to decompress the
> archive.

I did not compare CPU load. Maybe I should do that :-)

But the average user will take longer to download than to uncompress, so
my rationale for this experiment was space reduction "at all costs". The
15% average gain should outweigh CPU issues.

Also - on my test system I managed to _compress_ at 1,5MB/s. If anyone
could provide some performance numbers for slower systems  it'd be
easier to evaluate the tradeoff.

Patrick
--
Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move