> Having a live tree requires people to be perfect.  People are not
> perfect and requiring it is ridiculous.  I love having commits in my
> local tree within the hour, but having a stable and unstable branch
> makes a lot of sense.

Does it?  How does having a stable and unstable branch differ from
having stable and unstable keywords?

Agreed.  That doesn't make sense.

Subversion has what is known as pre-commit hooks.
Using those it's very easy to:
* prevent (most or some) committers from designating ebuilds as stable
* allow committers to designate ebuilds as stable under a certain path only
* strictly limit a commiters access to a part of the tree

Slightly harder, but could be done too:
* deny commits if it breaks ebuild dependencies

If you want central control of what's happening in the repository,
Subversion seems like the way to go.

SVN requires at least 2x the tree size for storage on the local machine,

This is a feature, not a bug.
It allows you to keep operations local, fx. do a diff without being
online with the repository.

checkouts take something akin to an order of magnitude longer than CVS.

In the past Subversion performance was sub-par.  I haven't
systematically tested performance, but I would expect it to be much
better now.

Performance is gradually improved, see fx. r18867, r18944 and r19420:
http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=rev&revision=18867
http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=rev&revision=18944
http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn?view=rev&revision=19420

GIT might perform better, since Linus specifically emphasized
non-O(n^2) performance in the design.  But being a decentralized tool,
I'm not sure how well it fits the needs here.

The former is annoying, but liveable, but
the latter is a deal-breaker.

I don't think so.  You really rarely do a complete checkout.

- No changeset/merge tracking

Solutions exist, including svnmerge and svk.
"Official" solution actively worked on at the moment, check out the
svn dev list.

A benefit of Subversion that I personally like is that FSFS
repositories are extremely easy to rsync.