On Thu, 18 May 2006 16:30:48 +0200
Paul de Vrieze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Paludis is not just a package, it is an alternative package manager.
> The proposed changes are also not just the setting of a default for a
> useflag.

So? It's a package in the tree, and I'd like a new profile to make best
use of it. Compare with the commercial/mysql profile if you like. The
fact that its main purpose is to install software is irrelevant.

> What you are requesting is adding a different version of
> gentoo.

Right, in the same way that the Alpha or hardened profiles are a
different version of gentoo.

> I already stated that I would find a no-portage profile discussable.
> This profile would then mean that portage, pkg-core, and paludis
> would be able to handle it.

This I would see as a viable alternative in the short term. It should
probably be moved into a different thread though, due to the sheer
volume of noise in this one.

> I am not sure though whether having a portage virtual would not be
> enough. As portage depends on python, it would be worthwhile to
> research whether removing python from the default package list works.
> In that case it is possible to remove the explicit portage dependency
> from the tree.

Again, a step in the right direction, but should probably be in its own
thread by now.