On Thursday 18 May 2006 18:26, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:26:06 +0200 Paul de Vrieze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> | Then copy the bloody profile, or temporarilly add some magic in
> | paludis that ignores portage and python deps. Not that hard to do.
> | While not so beautiful it can easilly be removed at a later stage.
>
> That removes valid dependencies.

Just remove it from the paludis system set. Is it that hard?

> | How far does that spread? Is this only for packages merged by
> | paludis, or does it spread? And what reasons are there for paludis
> | not to have a vdb format that will not confuse portage.
>
> Anything merged by Paludis may have a VDB entry that will confuse
> Portage. This is necessary for two reasons. Firstly, we have some
> features that Portage doesn't. Secondly, the VDB entries generated by
> Portage under certain circumstances (symlink/dir merge mismatches) are
> incomplete and incorrect, and Portage's unmerge code will falsely
> remove and falsely leave behind garbage when this happens, and we see
> no reason to emulate this bug.

Then do it correct in a way that portage can still live with it. Otherwise
write a portage patch so that it can live with it.

> Can you install Portage 2.0 and Portage 2.1 in parallel?

These are versions of the same official package manager. A different
situation.

> | > Doubtful, barring some rather drastic changes in Gentoo and the way
> | > its projects are handled.
> |
> | So you are asking to go towards replacing portage with a package
> | manager that is not under gentoo control?
>
> What about Portage is under Gentoo control? Were Portage under Gentoo
> control, it would have the features that Gentoo developers require by
> now. Like, say, :slot deps. Similarly, Gentoo has no problem with bash,
> despite it not being a Gentoo project...

Bash is not the gentoo package manager. If the council decided to tomorrow, it
could revert portage releases, freeze portage releases, lock access to
portage etc. It is under gentoo control.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer