Stefan Schweizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted [EMAIL PROTECTED],
excerpted below, on  Fri, 19 May 2006 15:13:48 +0200:

> Marc Hildebrand wrote:
>> Otoh LC_ALL=C could help if you intend to use a .utf-8 locale as root,
>> though. So if it does help solving bugs and causes no trouble, why not.
>

> ok, we have prepared a patch now, so everyone can have a look at it.
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/tmp/portage_lc_all.patch
>
> the default LC_ALL=C will be overwriteable by PORTAGE_LC_ALL= in
> make.conf. Of course broken settings like et_EE will not be supported.
>
> If no other objections come up against patch will be added to portage
> within a day. So, if you have any problem with it, speak up now.

While I cautiously support the idea, limiting objections to a day appears
to be ramming something thru, and beyond that, simply isn't practical for
a number of folks who may have either valid objections or valid
suggestions that could ease potential future issues.  This is
/particularly/ the case when some may be ignoring the list ATM due to the
thread getting the most activity ATM.  If folks aren't interested in that,
they may be avoiding the list ATM as a simple matter of efficiency and
personal sanity.

Also, it's Friday.  What about those that have taken off for a long
weekend?

Please... Tuesday at the very earliest seems reasonable, and I'd suggest
an entire week from first post, so next Friday.  Also note that portage is
in 2.1-rc freeze ATM, and while this might be considered a bug-fix
exception, /some/ sort of debate, more than a day, seems warranted.
Otherwise, 2.2 would look like a more reasonable target.

Again, this is from someone that otherwise favors the idea.  A day's
debate is simply not enough, and looks like you are just trying to ram it
thru without /letting/ there be debate.  Please reconsider at least on the
timing.