On Sunday 21 May 2006 05:44, Brian Harring wrote:
> So... where's the standard? :)
> Right, no doc yet that's official, thus at this juncture, what's
> there now (portage) is the effective standard.
>
> Said in the last thread, chunking out a formal EAPI=0 definition from
> the tree/portage implementation, tiz a good thing.  But until that's
> done (and folks agree it's the standard), portage (primary manager)
> rules, thus doc it out (as I've suggested to ciaran for the
> slot value and use/slot dep restrictions he's added) if you're after
> changing the existing definition.
>
> Not saying I like it, but it's the reality of current situation- the
> intention of the glep is to prevent lock in, and to keep the tree
> unified in terms of support (avoid fracturing of the env the tree has
> been written against), either a doc standard is created for EAPI=0, or
> portage defines the standard (since it's primary).

I have just committed my current revision. It includes some things about this.
That the standard is not only the implementation, but also guidelines etc.
This section is intended to convey that the maintainers of the primary
package manager can define (keeping the gentoo processes into account) new
extensions to the standard, or a new EAPI=1 version.

> > The process should go like this:
> >
> > 1. Standars are set (by the council or whatever).
> > 2. They are implemented in the official package manager.
> > 3. Other package managers follow suit.
>
> Council really shouldn't be involved sans big changes imo, and big
> changes imo should require gleps (both from an archive standpoint, and
> from fitting the council in via existing process of gleps).

I agree with this.

> One concern out of all of this is ensuring that their isn't
> ping/ponging back and forth as to which manager is 'official'; arms
> race in terms of features supported by each manager is a good thing
> imo, but need to keep that from causing chaos for devs in terms of
> changing standards.

The point indeed.

Paul

--