On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:36:17PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:38:06 +0200
> Stefan Schweizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > One problem could be that packages depend on LC_* to install the
> > correct language. But that is a real bug then in my opinion, because
> > ebuilds should only honour LINGUAS and not LC_* during build time.
> > Those bugs should be detected and fixed.
>
> I disagree.  LINGUAS is a Gentoo-specific thing, so is only relevant to
> ebuilds.  If a package uses LC_* to determine the user's locale
> preferences, I see no problem with that.

LINGUAS is not Gentoo-specific at all. Gentoo didn't even come up with
it. It's a gettext variable, which is re-used (with an annoyingly
slightly different meaning) by Gentoo.

That said, if a package can only install one translation at a time, and
it detects this at compile-time via LC_*, it's sort of braindead at
least. (A creates a package for B. B would like the Italian version. A
does not know any Italian. There is a build error. Because the system
forced LC_* to be set to Italian, A has no idea what the errors mean.)