On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 20:29 -0500, Lance Albertson wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
> >> The worry there was whether it would create controversy if they were
> >> hosted with other developer blogs, so we figured we'd host the actual
> >> blogs off-site (should irk less people, although presumably most will
> >> already have external blogs already) and just aggregate them on
> >> planet/universe (hopefully).
> >
> > Next time something like this comes up, it might be worthwhile to figure
> > out whether there actually would be any controversy first. =)
>
> I agree here. Sometimes the easiest way out isn't the best. We could
> have supported this easily and with just a little bit of discussion. I
> imagine we would have gotten a few vocal people fired up, but overall I
> don't think we would mind. You've got to keep in mind that these people
> have a lot of potential of becoming Gentoo devs themselves... just in a
> very long drawn out recruitment process. :-)

I believe the idea behind asking the list was to do just that, see what
people thought. As of course, if everyone was rather opposed to the idea
we'd sort of not push for having them on planet, universe and the lot.
Personally, I would have loved to be able to offer them blogs
at /developers but the general consensus was that it wouldn't be "right"
just yet. However, if people believe it wouldn't really be a problem,
and it wouldn't cause too much of an extra workload for Steve and
Daniel, then I for one would be more than happy to go with that option.

And yes, I think we are all hoping that they will be of developer
quality and that we can recruit them post Summer of Code.

Heck, did you guys know that one of our students was the "most popular
student," out of the 6 projects he applied to, 4 had accepted his
proposal. As luck would have it, he decided he wanted to work with us.

Having said that, I believe that we ended up with a good quality bunch
of people, and I am confident we will be gaining a lot from their work,
and hopefully also from future contributions post SoC, and I hope that
they in turn will find the experience to be one that benefits them too.

--
$a="gentoo.org"; Christel Dahlskjaer | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.$a
Gentoo Developeress - User Relations, Developer Relations, Gentoo/MIPS,