On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 00:07 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > There are *many* applications in the tree that do not use ALSA, but work
> > only via the OSS emulation.  Removing this is a bad idea and it would
> > definitely be blocked by the games team.  Probably half of the packages
> > that I maintain require OSS capabilities.
>
> do we really need the USE flag though ?  i was under the impression that you
> need to enable the OSS compat layer in the kernel and that's enough ... and
> the USE flag doesnt affect kernel build options ...

Only if you use the in-kernel ALSA.  If you use the external
alsa-driver, then the OSS support is controlled by the USE flag.

> umm, add back in fortran there bub

I never touched it.  It's in default-linux, not in my profile.

> > So does anyone have any objections to the others being removed?
> > (apm imlib mikmod motif xmms)
>
> mikmod is the only one i'd keep ... people generally want mikmod whether or
> not they know it ;)

I was wondering if we should keep it.  There are quite a few packages
that we know of that require it to be built into sdl-mixer, but I think
we're currently masking a lot of the bugs in the ebuilds because it is
set as default.  At any rate, I've added it back to the "keep" pile.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead