Stuart Herbert wrote:
On 6/8/06, Henrik Brix Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Will you also review the code each and every ebuild pull down over the
internet?

The policy for overlays.gentoo.org hosting [1] is hopefully clear: as
the project leads, they're ultimately responsible (and therefore
accountable) for what goes into their project overlay - no matter
whether it's committed by a dev or by a user who has been entrusted
with commit rights to the overlay.

The policy for what can go into an overlay is also hopefully clear:
overlays are for package trees, their patchsets, any docs, and any
downloadable tarballs that have nowhere else to be hosted.  It's not
there to be $UPSTREAM, except for eselect modules, -config scripts and
the like that exist purely to support ebuilds in the package tree.

I expect projects and developers who are using overlays to be
respectful of others.  The whole point of the overlays project is to
continue our work in trying to get our users much more involved in
developing Gentoo.  It's there to be a stepping stone for getting
packages into the tree - although I do not expect every package in
overlays to end up in the tree.  Any hostile hijacking of other
people's packages doesn't fit into that vision, and there's no place
for it on o.g.o.

I also expect projects and developers who are not using overlays to be
equally respectful of those who are.  There are projects and
developers who find overlays an excellent way of safely testing and
developing ebuilds, and who find overlays to be a good way to help
train and develop the next generation of Gentoo developers (good
developers are something we really need more of).

That is being done with the per-group overlays. No need to have a
maintainer-wanted official overlay for it.