Congratulations.  I just unsubscribed from the
gwn-feedback-alias after reading your mail.

* Christel Dahlskjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [06/06/10 04:28 +0100]:
> 1. Reliability. The GWN claims to be a weekly publication, yet it
> frequently fails to publish without prior warning. There was no edition
> this week, and Patrick Lauer says that it is "unknown" whether there
> will be an edition next week as Ulrich Plate is AWOL.

Several times Kurt or I took over the job of publicing the
GWN when Ulrich asked us.  So, there is a backup, but he
didn't asked for this week.

> 2. Permissions. Although it could be considered flattering that the GWN
> should choose a developer's blog as inspiration for an article, they
> should ensure that they have the developer / author's permission before
> quoting them (see previous complaints by brix, ciaranm and others).
>
> I also believe that when posting an article or interview, a copy should
> be sent to the relevant people to ensure that they are ok with what is
> being posted (my dev of the week interview, for example, was rather
> screwed up and misrepresentative). When someone contacts GWN to have
> something corrected, it would be appreciated were the GWN staff to at
> least deign to acknowledge receipt, even if for some reason they choose
> not to honour the corrections or post a retraction (although refusing to
> publish corrections is extremely insulting to those wronged).

And I expect the same from you.  You should ask the affected
people first before starting a discussion about them on our
public mailing lists.  This is a device I can give you for
further userrelations-activities.

> 4. Credit. Care should be taken to ensure that crrect credit is given.

It is.  Either as "Author" or "Contributor".

> Another thing that concerns me is the way the articles are written. It
> is blatanly obvious that the GWN writers are not native English speakers
> as both the grammar and the flow of the articles is far from attractive.
> Having read through the archives, I notice that there was once a time
> when the GWN was a great publication, and I would like to think that it
> could become great yet again; in its current state, though, it is doing
> more harm than good.

It's quite interesting to see, that the GWN and also
Debian's Weekly Newsletter is run by Germans mostly.  Is
there a problem with native speakers to run a periodically
newsletter for a long time (> 3 years)?

> Lack of content and poorly written or incorrect articles are often
> justified by the GWN team on grounds of overwork and insufficient
> manpower. When I asked why they were not recruiting, I was informed that
> no-one has any interest in contributing. Upon speaking with others,
> however, I find that this is not the case -- people are interested, but
> fear (and rightly so) that their work will be edited in such a way that
> it is no longer something with which they want to be associated.

Subscribe to the gwn-feedback-alias and read or comment the
submissions to the GWN.  Make sure that every user will
receive and answer.  And forward questions to the
arch-teams.  Isn't that userrel's job?  I didn't saw your
contributions there yet.

Regards, Lars