Peter Volkov (pva) wrote:
> On Сбт, 2006-06-10 at 15:11 +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
>> a) Translation of metadata.xml stuff in our tree (Is there any method to
>> keep them up-to-date when the English text changes? Something like
>> "revision" attribute that gets bumped when the English text gets updated?)
>
> While we do not have "version" or "revision" attribute, just drop all
> translations whenever you update English.

Re-adding them again and checking RCS history seems like unnecessary
work to me.

>> c) l10n for other packages and sending patches upstream
>> d) Translation of manpages. man-pages-cs for example sucks :(.
>
> Do we really need to do this inside Gentoo i18n project? This tasks are
> common for many distributions and should be done outside Gentoo. So just
> translate and send translations upstream.

Nope, that wouldn't be the primary job of the i18n team, just some kind
of task that they might do when they'd be idling otherwise :)

> Fex, to increase the profit from translated GWN
> translated versions should come out together with English one.

Tricky or even impossible one, considering the current time schedule.

> Personally I do not like idea to look at web for package documentation.
> There already exist decision to put all example files somewhere
> into /usr/share. I hope one day this happens and then all translated
> configuration files also can be put there.

While the comments in configuration files are certainly very useful, I
am persuaded that they shouldn't contain more information than the docs
available somewhere else. It's quite common for an administrator to work
on a remote box, possibly with a crappy network connection, and browsing
some doc over web is easier than launching yet another links session
under screen.

Cheers,
-jkt

--