On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:00:43 +0100
Stephen Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My current idea is to draw up a formal specification of what ebuilds
> are allowed to do, and what to assume about the environment in which
> they run, as well as defining the formats of everything under
> profiles/, metadata.xml files, and other auxiliary information in the
> tree. I would envision the first version of this document to more or
> less codify existing practise, perhaps excluding some dubious tricks
> that are known to break in some cases. Generally, it should be
> possible to make the tree conform to the first version of the
> specification by changes no more significant than currently have QA
> bugs filed for them.

Actually for the last two weeks or so (or whenever that pkgmanager
compat/transition glep was brought up) I was considering creating a new
"espec" project for that. This is beyond the scope of a single document
IMO and a separate project for it would help a bit to keep it
independent from existing implementations.

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.