Jonathan Adamczewski wrote:
Molle Bestefich wrote:

Hi

Follow-up question to the backup thingy.

Is there an easy way to share Portage's database between multiple
virtual machines?

Optimally, I would emerge --sync and the results would land in a
filesystem that I'd share between VMs, so I don't have to do emerge
--sync in each and all of them.  The filesystem could perhaps be
readonly to the virtual machines, except for the one doing the --sync
of course.

I share /usr/portage across several machines as an nfs mount.  'emerge
--sync' is done on only one machine.

Until recently, 'emerge --metadata' was still needed on the other
machines, but thanks to the metadata_overlay database, this is no longer
necessary.  And most emerge-related activities are much, much faster.

[To use the new database module, with portage-2.1, put

in /etc/portage/modules:
portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database

in /etc/make.conf:
FEATURE="-metadata-transfer"

and remove /var/cache/edb/dep/\${PORTDIR}  ]
Please Please Please read the docs before using metadata_overlay; there are some stipulations you need to follow when turning it on, specifically "you cannot edit eclasses". Otherwise, let it loose ;)

To have distfiles safely shared across the many machines, you need
FEATURES="distlocks" and you'll need to relocate (or mount separately)
${DISTDIR} if ${PORTDIR} is read-only.

Also, I think you're getting into questions that should be on -user.  ;)

j.