Portage currently exports $KV as the current kernel version. We detect this by attempting to mess around with the things in /usr/src/linux (.config, make files, etc...)

This is duplicating the superb efforts of the kernel team and of linux-info eclass. As such I would like to deprecate $KV in favor of using linux-info eclass. I don't see the need for portage to export $KV into the environment for all packages.

There are a few packages left that use this. There will be a tracker bug shortly. Mostly this mail is just a heads up ;)