Joshua Nichols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted [EMAIL PROTECTED],
excerpted below, on  Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:46:37 -0500:

> That being said... one of our users has been working on using GCJ to
> this end:
>
> https://projects.gentooexperimental.org/expj/wiki/GCJ_as_a_JDK

Thanks.

> As for why this hasn't been done already or more work isn't being done,
> I believe there are two reasons:
>
> 1) We don't have the same restriction as Fedora and Debian do with
> regard to licensing. If we did, then we'd have a more pressing need to
> use 'free' Java implementations to even distribute Java stuff.
>
> 2) No one has stepped up with the desire / motivation / skills to make
> it happen. Not only that, but the Java team in generally has been
> understaffed for some time now.

Understood.  As I said, no pressure from me to do it if it's not being
done already.  I just wondered what the status and chances were, thinking
if I was lucky a freedomware config might be one of the choices, and this
answers that to my satisfaction.