On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 02:39:29 -0400 (EDT)
"Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.-" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
>
> > Am I making sense?  This looks a lot like the gtk/gtk2 flags, but
> > inverted; according to use.desc, gtk builds gtk+-1 unless gtk2 is
> > set, whereas the above builds highest version compatible with the
> > package unless a lower version is specifically requested through
> > USE.
>
> That's not what use.desc says gtk does.  You just illustrated how
> confusing the gtk/gtk2 use flag situation has been.
>
> The gtk use flag doesn't specify a version.  It just says that the
> package should build against *a* version of gtk+.  The gtk2 flag was
> a way to prefer the gtk2 interface over the gtk1 interface if a
> package supported both.

ok; so in gtk-land we have gtk2 to prefer the newer interface whereas
the proposal for qt/qt3 is to have a specific flag for the older
interface.  I do prefer the qt/qt3 approach, even though it's
inconsistent with what happens on gtk. I don't suppose changing
gtk/gtk2 to gtk/gtk1 would be popular...

> Thankfully, we've mostly moved past the gtk/gtk2 use flag mess now.
> Let's try not to make it quite so hard for people with the qt toolkit.

I think we're all agreed there :)  So it's worth thrashing out properly.

--
Kevin F. Quinn